Saturday, May 17, 2008

Rainy, Friday Rush

First of all, I'm just now getting used to rush hours.

For most of my time in NYC, I've worked the graveyard shift so I was always doing a reverse commute, mostly riding on a fairly empty train and always having a seat. Back in the days when I did work days, I generally rode my bike to and from work.

Yesterday, Friday, was a nasty, rainy day. I had to be at work at 4:00 a.m. and I don't ride my bike on rainy days. The subways were heaving with commuters and none appeared any too happy. It seemed to be raining everywhere, even underground. And the trains just seemed to be crowded and there seemed to be an epidemic of people doing all the things that are on my subway dos/donts list:

1) DON'T stand in the doorway of the train.

2) If there is space in the center of the train, DON'T move to the empty spaces.

3) If you have a backpack, carry it on the subway, DON'T wear it on your back. It is a weapon. And it is like carrying another person on your back.

4) If you're young, DO get up and give your seat to someone who needs it. This includes old people, pregnant women, blind people, people with canes or crutches and especially old women who are just too tired from a week of work.

5) DON'T crack you're gum. If you're cracking your gum and you get shot, well I'm not saying you deserved it but . . .

6) If you know you're getting off at the next stop (and you do) DON'T wait until the doors open and people start getting on before you decide to get up and move to the door.

This list is not exhaustive.

So yesterday, I had to push my way into the train because (1) people were standing in the door and (2) there was plenty of empty space in the middle of the train but people weren't moving in. So then I was stuck standing in the door, breaking my own rule!

I guess the dampness and crowd was just too much for someone. I couldn't see her but I could hear her just raging. I couldn't tell if she was talking to someone in particular or to us or to God or to anyone who would listen, or possibly, just to herself. But she was raging about everything. Her language was what you would call "colorful." She was just mad. In fact, it was only the "colorful" words I could even understand.

Anyway, when I got off, it really started raining. It was raining horizontally and the umbrella was of now use.

It is a beautiful sunny day and I'm not going underground all weekend if I can help it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Marty,
I showed one of my students your blog, and she loved it!

Be careful on the subway. It's not like the Valeene Express!

Love, Monica