Sunday, June 22, 2008

The best laid plans and a bagel




First of all, there's nothing, nothing like a straight-from-the-oven, never frozen, just made New York bagel. This morning it was an everything bagel - that's everything: salt, onion, poppyseed, sesame seed, and sometimes even a raisin or two. It was steaming hot. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. No butter or cream cheese needed--they would be redundant.

Then I decided to ride to Brooklyn to go to my friend Brad's church. I decided to ride through Central Park and do the loop a couple of times since I had time. It is a great loop, about 5 miles around and full of hills. Just at the end of my second loop, I heard a pop. I just though a rock hit the bike. But then something felt funny and my back tire was all wobbly. So, I had to find a bike shop, not an easy thing before 10:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning.

And thanks to the lovely Metropolitan Transit Authority, the trains were all messed up and I had to go the wrong way for about ten stops before I could cross over and go the right way, all the while carrying my bike. up and down the stairs and on and off the trains. And the whole time I'm sure people are looking at me thinking, "Why's he got his bike on the train on such a beautiful day."

I finally got to my bike shop just as they were opening and they put on two new spokes and trued up the wheel. And I stepped out of the store and just as if it were for me, a big clap of thunder, a bolt of lightning and it started to pour. And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I agree completely with your comments about the everything bagel. Some days everything bagels are why I stay in this city! Too bad about the bike and storm on Sunday :-(